Whittier High School
12417 E. Philadelphia Street, Whittier, California 90601
ATTENDANCE OFFICE: (562) 698-8121 Ext. 2040 & 2041
Informacíon en español
California laws require EVERYONE between the ages of 6 and 18 years old to attend school unless they have graduated from high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) Education Code 48200. It is imperative that your child attends school every day. Absences for medical reasons and certain non-medical reasons are excused. Parents should notify the Attendance Office immediately of all absences. Please call the Attendance Office on the day of your students absence before 9:00 a.m. at 698-8121 ext. 2040 or 2041.
- When returning from an absence, a student either brings a note signed by a parent/guardian or parent phone call. Parents are encouraged to cal the school by 9:00 a.m. to clearn an absence. If an absence is not cleared within three (3) days, a truancy will be issued.
- More than three (3) days or three (4) tardies in a school semester is excessive. Please take into consideration that excessive tardiness to any one class may result in the student being dropped from that class.
- After 6 absences within a semester a doctor's note will be required for every absence. (See Ed Code 48205 below)
- The school will not accept more that three (3) parental or guardian notes per semester excusing a student from being late to his or her first class of the day (i.e. car trouble, woke up late, traffic etc.) If your student is late more than 30 minutes he/she will be marked absent, unless student has a valid doctors note.
- Any student absent three days or more because of an infectious illness must report to the Attendance Office before returning to class. A note from the doctor will be required upon return. Extended non-medical absences (family emergency or vacations) WILL NOT be excused. Special circumstances need to be reported to the Attendance Coordinator for review and a decision will be made on an individual basis. Student will be assigned Saturday School to make up all unexcused absences.Students who have good attendance will be eligible for attendance awards.
- SENIORS MUST CLEAR ALL TRUANCIES BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. ALL SENIOR ACTIVITIES INCLUDING GRADUATION CEREMONY AND DANCES ARE A PRIVILEGE AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.
Education Code 37223 States:
The governing board of any elementary, high school, or unified school district or any county superintendent of schools may maintain classes on Saturday or Sunday, or both.
The classes may include, but are not limited to, continuation classes, special day classes or mentally gifted minors, makeup classes for unexcused absences occurring during the week, and the programs of a regional occupational center or regional occupational program.
Education Code 48205:
Enumerates the reasons for excused absences, and the Supervisor of Attendance, the Principal, or the SARB may require verification by a school official or physician if asences for health reasons appear excessive.
- Students are considered for perfect attendance awards at the end of the school year if: Student has NO full day absences or a combination of 5 or less period absences/tardies.
OFF-CAMPUS PERMITS: Please be aware that we DO NOT release any student by phone, parent MUST come into the Attendance Office with identification.
- Off-campus permits are issued for medical appointments and personal matters that cannot be handled after school hours.
- Student must present signed note from parent/guardian to the Attendance Office before school, at nutrition, or at lunch. At that time an off-campus permit will be issued. PLEASE ALLOW 10-15 MINUTES FOR YOUR STUDENT(S) TO ARRIVE TO THE OFFICE
- If a parent/guardian is arriving to pick up a student that has not presented a note to the Attendance office, parent needs to arrive 45 minutes to an hour prior to the appointment time. Please keep in mind if student has Physical Education at the time that parents request to have student leave it may take up to 30 minutes for student to arrive at front office.
- Student presents request at the Attendance Office before school, at nutrition, or at lunch to obtain an off-campus permit. Off-Campus passes will NOT be issued during class time.
- Students show their off-campus permit to teacher and leaves at specified time.
- A student may lose (at teachers discretion) the privilege of making up missed work as a penalty for truancy.
- If a student is truant for any part of the school day a truancy citation may be given by our campus School Resource Officer (Truancy fines range from $167.00 to $350.00) or student may be put on an Attendance Contract for a period of time.
- Truancies will affect citizenship and can affect academic grades.
- All full day truancies are assigned Saturday School.
Student visitors are NOT permitted, at any time, on campus.
UNASSIGNED PERIOD(S) DURING SCHOOL DAY:
Students who have unassigned periods during the school day are expected to leave the school campus. NO LOITERING IS PERMITTED IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL!
PARENT PHONE CALLS:
We do allow parents to call to speak with their student(s) ONLY in an event of a family emergency; NOT FOR TRANSPORTATION REASONS. Transportation arrangements MUST be discussed and handled before school.
DELIVERING ITEMS TO STUDENTS DURING SCHOOL HOURS:
- If a parent/guardian, or any other family member or family friend, needs to deliver items to a student(s) the following should be done:Parent/guardian, other family member or family friend must come to the front entrance with ID and give security the students name.
- Person must wait while student is sent up; only parent/guardian, other family member or family friend can deliver items to student. Items will not be held or delivered by security
- BALLOONS, CAKES, FLOWERS OR ANY OTHER GIFTS WILL NOT BE DELIVERED BY ANY STAFF MEMBER. Please do not bring these things to be delivered!!
Students requesting to participate in a school activity must obtain an attendance print out. The students attendance will be reviewed for dance clearance. A student should not have more than a total of four (4) unexcused tardies or period cuts (combined in all classes) and no more than five (5) full day excused absences. Anything over this criteria the student must attend a Saturday School for each additional full day absence or four (4) period cut/unexcused tardy combination.
- All-day truancies, unexcused absences and period cuts must be cleared by Saturday School.
- All assigned Saturdays Schools must be served before the student can purchase a dance ticket.
**ACTIVITIES ARE SCHOOL SPONSORED AND WHS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.