Skip to main content

Whittier Union High School District

Open Enrollment

Open Enrollment for the 2018-2019 School Year Begins January 22, 2018!


The Whittier Union High School District (WUHSD) has a policy of Open Enrollment. Open Enrollment requires an application process, however, no action is required on your part if students will attend, or will continue to attend, their current school or their school of residence.  Students residing in the Whittier Union High School District may apply to transfer from one district school to another for the following school year. These opportunities may be limited based on the enrollment capacity of each of the district schools and its individual programs. For the 2018-2019 school year, applications are only accepted on-line at from January 22, 2018 at 8 a.m. to February 2, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. Computers will be available in the Guidance Office at WUHSD school sites during the Open Enrollment period from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students not residing in the WUHSD attendance area may begin to submit interdistrict permit requests starting in March.


Frequently Asked Questions:  Please Read Carefully. There are new procedures this year!


  1. Who should participate in the Open Enrollment program?

Only those families who live within the Whittier Union High School District attendance area, and wish to have their child enroll in a district school other than his/her school of residence, should participate in Open Enrollment.

  1.        How do I determine my son’s/daughter’s school of residence?

Students can determine their school of residence by going to under the heading of Home School Lookup.

  1.        I want my son/ daughter to attend his/her school of residence. Do I need to apply through Open Enrollment?

No. Your child will automatically be enrolled at his/her school of residence if he/she currently resides within the attendance boundaries of the school he/she wishes to attend and currently attends a public school that directly matriculates to WUHSD.  Students currently residing in the WUHSD attendance area that attend a private school or a public school out of the area should contact the Guidance Office at their school of residence to enroll. They do not need to apply through Open Enrollment.

  1.         If I want my child to attend the same school as a sibling who is not attending his/her school of residence, do I submit an Open Enrollment application?

      Yes.  If students want to attend a school, other than their school of residence, that their sibling currently attends and will continue to attend in the 2018-2019 school year, they should apply through Open Enrollment. This is the first year that we are requiring siblings to apply during Open Enrollment if they already have a sibling attending the desired school.  While applications for siblings residing in the same household will be prioritized, acceptance to the desired school is not guaranteed due to the enrollment capacity in certain programs at school sites. An exception to this prioritization process would be if the sibling attending the desired school is currently a senior, then the application for the sibling that is applying to attend the desired school will not be prioritized.

  1.         Are Open Enrollment applications reviewed on a “First Come – First Served” basis?

No. All applications received during the Open Enrollment period will be treated equally, whether it is received on the first day or the last day. Also, duplicate submissions will be deleted.

  1.         What are the chances that my son/daughter will get in to the school of his/her choice?

Several of our schools are projected to be at or above enrollment capacity. Two hundred fifty (250) seats have been allocated for each of our five comprehensive high schools for Open Enrollment; however, space in specific site programs may be more limited. Students will be selected through a random, computerized lottery system. Students who have siblings who currently attend, and will continue to attend, the requested school during the 2018-2019 school year, along with children of district employees, will be given first priority. Students who apply during Open Enrollment and are not selected during this process will be placed on a waiting list which will expire on the first day of the 2018-2019 school year. 

  1.         Is transportation provided to the new school?

No. Transportation is the responsibility of the parent(s)/ guardian(s).

  1.         Do Open Enrollment transfers need to be renewed each year?

No. Once a student has received a transfer under Open Enrollment, he/she is considered a permanent student at that school, and need not re-apply.

  1.         How does a transfer affect athletic eligibility?

Athletic eligibility rules established by the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) will apply. All questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the Assistant Principal, Business and Activities, at your school of residence.

  1.         How will I be notified of my son’s/daughter’s transfer eligibility?

Notification will be sent to the email address provided on the on-line application. Due to the volume of applications, we will be unable to provide notification status over the phone. If you have not been notified by March 9, or if you have any questions related to the Open Enrollment process, you may contact Student Support Services at (562) 698-8121 x 1180.